How do I tell the police I want to remain silent?

If the police contact you and want to ask you questions about a crime, you can tell them “I am invoking my right to remain silent” and “I want to speak to my attorney.” If you are invoking or asserting your rights, you must make sure that you do this clearly. Do not use words like “I think” or “maybe” before telling the police that you want to remain silent or talk to an attorney. Be respectful, but clear.

Also, after you tell the police that you want to remain silent, make sure that you stick with it and stay silent. If you start talking to the police even after telling them you want to remain silent, they might still be able to use those statements against you.

If you get a chance to make a phone call or send a text message, you can contact Mr. Rios at 1-408-478-4444 and he can help you navigate the process.